How many times have you looked in the mirror and thought to yourself…Yikes! Those few pounds can turn into 20 in a matter of a few months and you don’t realize what it’s done to your body until it’s already there…so what do you do? You go on a crazy diet like I’ve always done in the past, OR you start eating healthier and exercising a little more. Think about if for a moment if you will…those added pounds did not show up over night, so they aren’t going to go away in a day or two either, but there are things that you can do until you shed those unwanted pounds until you get back to your desired weight. Did you know that you could look skinnier without losing any weight? While you’re waiting to see results from diet and exercise, there are ways to slim down instantly. Try these tips for your wardrobe, hair, face, body, and mind.
Wardrobe Tips for Looking Thinner:
1. Wear one color at a time. Wearing a single color or similar shades for your whole outfit will help you to look thinner and taller. Black is a practical choice, and my all time favorite, but other colors can achieve the same effect. Solids are usually more slimming than prints.
2. Ensure that your clothes fit properly. Wearing clothes that are too small makes you look bigger. Seek a comfortable fit and professional alterations if necessary. Get a personalized bra fitting at any department store periodically to keep up with any changes due to aging or weight fluctuations.
3. Use undergarments with comfortable shaping. Body shapers and other compression garments are more comfortable than ever before. Invest in some strategic undergarments that will make all your clothes look better.
4. Choose slimming pants. Look for pants with a flat front and minimal detail. Skip the pants with hidden zippers and no pockets. Pant legs with a slight flare can also help you to look trimmer.
5. Select flattering tops. Pay attention to the length of your tops. A top that ends below the waist will deflect attention from a thick middle. Similarly, a wide collar will help balance broad hips. No hoochie mama tops gals that hug your boobies, you want classy fit.
6. Wear the right shoes. Chunky shoes can make your legs look thicker. Look for narrow pumps with a slightly pointed toe rather than square or rounded toes. Nude shoes are especially good because they make your legs look longer.
7. Liberate yourself from the fear of swimwear. Many women shrink from shopping for swimwear but there are bathing suits designed for every body type. High cut legs can make you look thinner. Lightweight compression can keep you feeling comfortable and sleek.
Other Tips for Looking Thinner:
1. Use makeup to make your face more angular. Iridescent powder can make your face look slimmer and create contours. Brush it along your brow bones and the top of your cheekbones to bring out your bone structure.â€¨
2. Make your eyes stand out. If your eyes look bigger, the rest of your face will appear smaller. Curl your upper lashes and apply extra mascara to your top outer lashes. Keep your eyebrows slightly arched and well groomed.
3. Get a flattering haircut. If you want your face to look less full, try cutting your hair shorter. Instead of bangs, pull your hair away from your face to make your face look longer. Choose a hairstyle that adds a little height and fullness at the crown. My hair used to be longer, or a little over my shoulders, then I moved to Houston and I got a “bob” cut where the sides were longer and closer to my face, and the back was layered and shorter to my neck. I have highlights and with a hair straightener, I use it to bend my hair verse the use of a curling iron to make my style look fuller (which makes your face look rounder.)
4. Practice good posture. Develop strong abdominal muscles and hold your stomach flat at all times. Pull your shoulders back. It’s good for your health and makes you look leaner. When you slouch, you get lazy and when you get lazy you just don’t care….no no no! Sit up straight, walk with your shoulders and chest out and show posture and balance in your step.
5. Get a safe tan. If you think that tanning makes you look thinner, do it safely. Sunless tanning products have come a long way in recent years. Daily tanning moisturizers are one easy option to get a little color gradually without any increased risk of skin cancer or premature aging. I have to use the spray on tans because I have had melanoma cancer in the past and it would be very unhealthy for me to even consider a dangerous tanning bed. The spray tan lasts me about 4 weeks and it’s a level 2 which makes me look tan not orangish brown. No one wants to look like they have the fake spray with streaks. Natural is better. Remember you want to look and feel good, blend in,..not stand out!
6. Project a positive attitude. No matter what your dress or pants size is, you’ll feel more attractive when you cultivate a healthy sense of self-esteem and a genuine affection for others. Focus on your most attractive features and qualities. Be happy, and love who YOU are! Life is good and when you are pleasant and confident in yourself, you’ll find more spring in your step!